Matthew N Tanko [*MBBS, FMCPath (Nig), FCPath (COPECSA), DHSM (Israel), PCAP.]
Matthew N Tanko is Associate Professor of Practice, Chair Clinical Academic Department and Program Director, Anatomic Pathology Residency Program. He has over 15 years of program development, teaching, and supervising both undergraduate and graduate medical students in 4 countries many of which have moved to independent practice and faculty positions in many health and academic institutions, particularly in Africa.
Editor in Chief
Matthew N Tanko is the Editorial in Chief Special Journal of Pathology, Immunology and Cancer SJ-PIC and is also one of the editors for Special Journal of Cancer because of his additional interested in the Pathology of Cancer for which He has published widely in reputable peer review journals
Academic and Professional Training of Matthew N Tanko
- University of Jos, Nigeria MBBS 1989-1996 Medicine/Surgery
- National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria FMCPath 2004 Anatomic Pathology
- Mayo Clinic Scottsdale Arizona, USA 2012 Clinical Fellowship Pulmonary Pathology and Cytopathology
- Galilee International Management Institute, Nahalal, Israel 2013 Diploma Health Systems Management
College of Pathologists of East Central and Southern Africa (COPECSA), 2014, FCPath-ECSA, Honorary Fellowship in Pathology
Unique selling points of Matthew N Tanko
- University of Jos and Uni-JoS Teaching Hospital 2004
- Instructor and consultant pathologist at the College of Medical Sciences University of Jos and Jos University Teaching Hospital, respectively.
- Technical AIDS Corpse (TAC), 2006
- In 2006, he was selected by the Federal Government of Nigeria and deployed to Uganda as a technical expert on a bilateral agreement between the two countries.
- Kampala International University, Uganda 2006
- He was head of the department of diagnostics and later Dean of Faculty of Clinical Sciences at the KIUTH
- University of Botswana, 2008
- He was recruited as a founding chair of the department of pathology at the University of Botswana. As Dean, Deputy Dean, and Curriculum Lead for the pathology block of the MBBS program, he developed and established a 4-year professional Master of Medicine residency program
- Nazarbayev University School of Medicine, University Medical Center Astana, Republic of Kazakhstan Central Asia. Director Anatomic Pathology Residency Program,
His research interest has been on gastrointestinal and liver pathology and oncology and has published many articles in Scopus indexed database.
- 2004-2006 Lecturer/Consultant Pathologist, University of Jos/Jos University Teaching Hospital
- 2007-2008 Senior Lecturer/Head of Diagnostics/Dean Kampala International University Teaching Hospital
- 2008-2017 Associate Professor/Head of Pathology/Deputy Dean/Interim Dean University of Botswana
- 2017-Date Associate Professor of Practice and Chair, Clinical Academic Department of Pathology, Director
- Anatomic Pathology Residency Program, Nazarbayev University School of Medicine/University Medical Center Astana, Republic of Kazakhstan Central Asia.
- M N Tanko, G O Echejoh, A N Manasseh, B M Mandong, AO Malu. Gastric histopathological findings in mucosal biopsies of symptomatic patients in Jos, Central Nigeria. Nig J Med 2007; 16(2):113-11.
- Godwins O Echejoh, Barnabas M Mandong, Matthew N Tanko, Agabus N Manasseh, Edith N Okeke, Emmanuel I Agaba. Hepatic Histopathological findings in HIV patients at postmortem in Jos Univ THl, Nig. Tropical Doctor 2006; 36(4):228-231.
- Dapar L P Maxwell, Aguiyi C John, Wannang N Noel, Gyang S Stephen, Tanko N Matthew. Histopathologic effects of Securidaca Longepedunculata on Heart, Liver, Kidney and Lungs of rats (African J of Biotech March 2007; 6:591-595).
- B M Mandong, A T Kidmas, A N Manasseh, G O Echejoh, M N Tanko, A J K Madaki. Epidemiology of soft tissue sarcomas in Jos, North Central Nigeria. Nig J Med July-September 2007, vol.16 (3):246-249
- Nimzing G Ladep, Joshua Sule, Samuel A Ohayi, Matthew N Tanko. Inflammatory fibrous polyp of the oesophagus presenting with dyspepsia: A Case Report (Highland Medical Research Journal Jan-June 2007, vol. 5(1):96-97)
- Tanko N M, Echejoh G O, Manasseh A N, Mandong B M, Banwat E B, Daru P H. Cervical Dysplasia in HIV-Seropositive women in Central Nigeria (Highland Medical Research Journal 2006; 4:21-26)
- M N Tanko, G O Echejoh, B M Mandong, A N Manasseh, A O Malu. Frequency of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastroscopic biopsies of symptomatic patients in Jos, Central Nigeria (Journal of Medicine in the tropics, July-Dec 2006; vol. 8(2):43-48).
- Echejoh G O, Tanko N M, Manasseh A N, Mandong B M, Ogala-Echejoh S E, Ladep G N, Okeke E N, Ugoya S O. .Clinico-pathological correlation of liver biopsy in Jos, Central Nigeria (Journal of Chinese Clinical Medicine 2007; 2(10):557-562).
- Echejoh GO, Tanko MN, Manasseh AN, Silas OA, Ogala-Echejoh SE, Mandong BM. Liver cirrhosis in Jos, North Central Nigeria.(Jos Journal of Medicine 2008; 3(1):26-29).
- Echejoh GO, Tanko M N, Manasseh AN, Ugoya SO, Echejoh-Ogala SE, Mandong BM. Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Jos, Nigeria (Nig J Med 2008; 17(2):210-213).
- Echejoh Godwins O, Manasseh Agabus N , Tanko Matthew N, Ogala-Echejoh Stella E, Silas Olugbenga A, Nimkur Tonga L, Mandong Barnabas M. Nasal Rhinosporidiosis: A Case Report. (Journal of the Nat Medi Assoc (USA) 2008: 100(6): 713-715.
- M N Tanko, A N Manasseh, G O Echejoh, B M Mandong, A O Malu, E N Okeke, N Ladep, E I Agaba. Relation between Helicobacter pylori, inflammatory (neutrophil) activity, chronic inflammation, gastric atrophy and Intestinal Metaplasia (Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice 2008; 11(3): 270-274).
- M N Tanko, GO Echejoh, A N Manasseh, BM Mandong, AF Uba: Paediatric Solid Tumours in Nigerian Children: A Changing Pattern? (Afr J Paediatr Surg 2009; 6: 7-10)
- Agabus N Manasseh, Godwins O Echejoh, Matthew N Tanko, Olubenga O Silas, Nuhu K Dakum, Barnabas M Mandong. Prostatic adenocarcinoma coexisting with schistosomiasis: a case report and review of the literature. (Int. J. Med. Med Sci 2009; 1(3): 33-37).
- Manasseh AN, Echejoh GO, Tanko MN, Silas OA, Mandong BM. Schistosomiasis presenting as a pancreatic tumor with gastric outlet obstruction: a case report and review of the literature. (Highland Medical Research Journal 2009; 6(7): 84-88).
- Agabus N Manasseh, Godwins O Echejoh, Matthew N Tanko, Shola K Jegede, and Barnabas M Mandong. Testicular Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma: A case report. International J Med Med Sci 2009; 1(11):470-472.
- Vento s, Tanko MN. The Bacterium that could cause cancer. The Lancet Oncology 2009; 10(5):528 Pubmed ID 19410198
- 18. Cainelli F, Vallone A, Tanko MN, Vento S. Lymph nodes, and pathogenesis of infection with HIV-1. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010 Feb;10(2):71-2.
- Francesca Cainelli, Matthew N Tanko, Sandro Vento. The challenge of lymphomas in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Lancet Oncology 2010;11:611-612.
- Cainelli F, Tanko MN, Vento S. Silica exposure and silicosis: Action is needed now. Southern Medical Journal 2010; 103(11): 1078.
- A.N Ocheke, N.I Umar, O.A Silas, N.M Tanko, J.T Mutihir. Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma of the cervix: A case report. Afr J Paediatr Surg 2011; 8: 95-97.
- Mandong BM, Manasseh AN, Tanko MN, Echejoh GO, Madaki AJ. Epidemiology of gastric cancer in Jos University Teaching Hospital Jos: a 20-year review of cases. Niger J Med. 2010 Oct-Dec;19 (4):451-4.
- Patricia Agaba, Thomas D Thacher, Chinedu C Ekwempu, Matthew N Tanko, James O Adisa, Emmanuel I Agaba, John A Idoko. Prevalence of Gynaecologic Morbidity in HIV-positive women: A comparison of treated and untreated patients. Journal of Medicine in the Tropics 2011; 13(2) :62-67.
- Matthew Naanlep Tanko, Francesca Cainelli, Sandro Vento. Infección por Helicobacter pylori y Epidemiología del Cáncer Gástrico:Pruebas y Controversias (Helicobacter pylori infection and the epidemiology of gastric cancer: evidence and controversies). Colección Trabajos Distinguidos, Serie Oncología Noviembre 2012; Volumen 22, Número 2:4-8. This was a distinguished article of the year.
- Matthew N Tanko, Mukende K A Kayembe, Francesca Cainelli, Sandro Vento. Malignant Tumours of the genital tract among Batswana women.Ghana Medical Journal (Sept 2012; 46(3): 142-146.
- Maitseo K. Nwako-Mohamadi, Vidushi Madan, Matthew N Tanko, Sandro Vento. Psoriasis in an HIV-Infected Woman on Antiretroviral Therapy. Israeli Medical Association Journal 2014; (16): 262-263.
- Sandy Mpho Mosenye, Jose Antonio Moulton Avarez, Rafael E Cruz Abascal, Matthew N Tanko, Francesca Cainelli, Sandro Vento. Systemic Lupus Erythematosis with Stage IV Nephritis in an African Girl. Israeli Medical Association Journal 2015; (16):394-395.